The Importance of Well-Women Care
Women have unique health issues and concerns. That means a woman’s healthcare should be unique too. Healthcare needs to be proactive and preventive, and it all begins with well-women care. The nurse midwives at The Birth Center in Missoula, MT. provide a wide range of women’s health services, including well-women care.
What You Need To Know About Well-Women Care
Well-women care is designed for women of all ages, from teen girls who are just beginning menstruation, to senior women going through menopause. Well-women care is designed to help women who are thinking of starting a family, or women who are pregnant and having a baby.
Well-women care starts with routine visits at least once each year. During these visits, your nurse-midwife will:
- Perform a comprehensive physical examination, including measuring blood pressure, height, and weight
- Perform a comprehensive reproductive examination, including breast exam and pap smear
- Order laboratory testing to evaluate overall health, cholesterol, and blood sugar levels
- Order imaging studies including mammograms, ultrasounds, and bone density studies
For teen girls, well-women care includes:
- Managing irregular or heavy periods and menstruation symptoms
- Prescribing birth control
- Counseling about sex and sexually transmitted diseases or infections
For adult women who are trying to get pregnant, well-women care includes:
- Pregnancy and fertility counseling
- Labor and delivery guidance
- Prenatal care guidance
For women who are going through menopause, well-women care includes:
- Prescribing medications to prevent osteoporosis
- Prescribing hormone replacement therapy to manage menopause symptoms
Well-women care also includes tools and education to help you live your best life. Your nurse-midwife can provide:
- Dietary counseling to help you maintain a healthy weight
- Exercise routine development to help you stay active
- Stress management techniques to help calm your mind and body
Want To Know More?
To find out more about the importance of well-women care, talk with the experts. Call the nurse midwives at The Birth Center in Missoula, MT. You can reach them in the office by calling (406) 541-7115, so call today.